AAUW to Host City Candidate Forum March 14
Last updated 3/9/2019 at 9:23am
The American Association of University Women is hosting a forum March 14 featuring the candidates for Lake Wales City Commission.
The forum is open to the public and begins at 5:30 p.m. at the James P. Austin Center, 315 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in Lake Wales.
Lake Wales voters on April 2 will elect a mayor and one city commissioner and vote on a proposed City Charter change that would extend commission terms from two years to three. The change would go into effect immediately for the Mayor, but not until the 2020 election for city commissioners.
Candidates for the Mayor (Seat 1) are incumbent Eugene Fultz and challenger Bob Wood. Candidates for Commissioner (Seat 2) are incumbent Curtis Gibson and challenger James Tucker. Fultz had a previous commitment, but Wood, Gibson and Tucker are expected to attend the AAUW Forum.
Lake Wales City Clerk Jennifer Nanek will explain the proposed Charter amendment.
Each candidate at the AAUW Forum will be given three minutes for an opening statement describing how their background prepares them for service, any special initiatives they would like to introduce and what their focus would be for the City in the next two years. They also get a one-minute closing statement.
Candidates will have one minute to answer each of these five questions provided in advance by the AAUW:
1. The City at this time appears to focus on economic growth. What areas of endeavor, if any, do you think are currently being neglected?
2. What can the commission do to help improve the welcoming aspect and livability of our community?
3. What should the commission do to help revitalize our 2 downtown areas?
4. Is there anything you would propose to change about the processes of our city government, about the way we do government?
5. Do you have any thoughts about how the city should prepare to deal with climate change?
Audience members will have 30 seconds to ask additional questions, and candidates will have one minute to answer. AAUW member Jessica Bray will be emcee for the forum, and Charlene Bennett will be timekeeper. Bennett can be reached by calling 863-676-9231 or emailing [email protected]