More Closings, Program Suspensions Announced Amid Virus Scare
Last updated 3/18/2020 at 10:40am
Additional closings and program suspensions have been announced in the wake of growing concerns over the potential spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Lake Wales Arts Council
The arts council is suspending program and the Lake Wales Arts Center will be closed from March 16-29. Arts council staff will still be taking phone calls and receiving emails. Rentals are not currently affected by the closure.
The center intends to resume classes on March 30 for an additional two weeks for makeup sessions. Adult workshops will be rescheduled if needed.
The Lake Wales Chorale Spring Concert scheduled for March 29 has been postponed indefinitely along with the student concert and exhibit and the Members Only Spring Party.
Florida Allegory: David Price and Jeff Ripple art exhibit is still scheduled to open April 16. The Youth Music Festival is still scheduled for April 18-19. The sold-out Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn concert is still scheduled for May 7.
Lake Wales History Museum
The museum will be closed until March 31, and all programs canceled until April 7, including the Lake Wales History Bus Tours, Museum Book Club and Museum Thank You Lunch. The museum will issue a full refund for the bus tour and plans to reschedule other events.
The next museum exhibit, Infamy: Dec. 7, 1941, a traveling exhibit from the National World War Two Museum, is still tentatively scheduled to open April 7 and run through June 6. For updates, visit the museum website at http://www.lakewalesfl.gov/museum
Lake Wales Public Library
The library will be closed to the public from March 17-29, with reopening tentatively scheduled for Monday, March 30. Book discussion groups and lifelong learning classes are postponed.
The Library is offering some ideas and solutions to get through the closing period.
• Library patrons are encouraged to utilize the Polk County Library Cooperative's Books by Mail service, BMail. This service is free to all residents of Polk County. Materials are delivered to your home via mail. Individuals who are short or long term home bound qualify for free delivery and returns. Able body individuals receive free delivery, but must return items to any Polk County Library Cooperative site. For information on this home delivery service visit, BMail Information or call 863.679.4441, or toll free 866.679.4441. Questions may also be emailed to [email protected]
• The wireless internet access at the Lake Wales Public Library will be available to users outside the library's walls, with your own device.
• The Lake Wales Public Library's website includes many resources and digital products. Visit http://www.lakewalesfl.gov/library. Explore Books Ebooks and More tab for Flipster Digital Magazines, OverDrive and Hoopla Digital eBooks, Audiobooks, movies and television shows.
• The Lake Wales Public Library and Lake Wales History Museum's Facebook pages will have updates and other information.
• Visit the Library's website at LW Public Library and the Museum's website at LW History Museum