50 Polk School Buses Being Deployed as Free Wi-Fi Hotspots, 8 in Lake Wales Area
Last updated 4/29/2020 at 10:23am
Polk County Public Schools and Polk Vision have teamed up to help improve internet access for students through a new initiative: Synced for Students.
With campuses closed through the remainder of the 2019-20 school year, PCPS students are engaging with their teachers and lessons online as part of a statewide transition to distance learning. However, the change has been difficult for many families who lack internet service at home, or have limited internet options in their community.
PCPS will deploy a specially equipped fleet of 50 buses on Monday, April 27, that will serve as Wi-Fi hotspots in areas of need.
These buses will operate from approximately 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays at designated sites. During that time, students and families in the area will be able to connect to the internet. For more information and site locations, visit polkschoolsfl.com/buswifi
The WiFi signal name is PCPSBUS and the password is PCPS2020
Rob Davis, assistant superintendent of Support Services, is responsible for the district's bus fleet, food service and school security.
Dr. Tina Barrios, assistant superintendent of Information Systems & Technology, oversees the district's various technology programs and resources.
Kim Long is the executive director of Polk Vision, an organization that supports countywide collaboration among public and private entities.
Lake Wales area Wi-Fi locations include:
- McLaughlin Middle – 800 S 4th St. (12:30 to 5 p.m.)
- Polk County Fire Rescue Station 840 – 4925 Timberlane Rd (7 to 10 a.m.)
- Roosevelt Academy – 115 E St. (7 a.m. to noon)
- Orange Acres Mobile Home Park – Lake Buffum Rd E @ Barnwell Ave (7 to 10 a.m.)
- Soccer Field – 151 Hunt Brothers Rd (10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
- Greater Saint Thomas Holiness Church – 2256 Friedlander Rd (2 to 5 p.m.)
- Lake Pierce Ranchettes Park – 2670 Fast Trott Trail (10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
- Mammoth Grove Rd @ Masterpiece Rd (Open Lot) (2 to 5 p.m.)