Communication Builds Our Community

Fire Department Responds to Mall Emergency From Two Stations

Burning Rooftop HVAC Unit Source of Smoke

A "commercial fire" alert at Eagle Ridge Mall that went out on a 911 emergency channel gave some folks a start on Sunday afternoon, but happily turned out to be "not much," according to Lt. Matt Hulen of the Lake Wales Fire Department.

The fire turned out to be a burning motor in rooftop equipment.

The fire caused the closure of Lake Wales Bowl and Entertainment, the large bowling center and restaurant at the mall.

According to witness reports, smoke was observed coming from the roof of the 800,000 square foot complex, and firefighters rolled equipment from both the nearby Station Two on Chalet Suzanne Road and Station One, located on Central Avenue.

Once on site the crews gained access to the roof through an access door and ladder and discovered that a large motor powering an HVAC unit had burned out.

The incident caused the bowling center, which also features Maggies' Restaurant and bar and a large game room, to close. According to Hulen, the center is also having issues with an on-site alarm system.


Reader Comments(0)