Communication Builds Our Community

100 Years Ago: The Highlander of January 2, 1924

The new year of 1924 started out with big news in the community of Lake Wales as voters apparently chose to fund a new county hospital, a b ig achievement for the largely-rural county.

Roads were being paved and widened to connect the network of small towns that were sprinkled across the more than 2,000 square miles of Polk, while railroad lines were also being extended to allow the quick passage of freight and passengers to and from northern markets.

Citrus was the big industry driving most of the new growth around Lake Wales, and wealthy northerners were flocking to the new communities of Mountain Lake and Highland Park to build winter homes.


Reader Comments(0)

Rendered 06/24/2024 01:30