Millions in Grants Still Available for Individuals and Businesses Impacted by COVID-19
Last updated 6/18/2020 at 12:58pm
As of June 2 more than more than $46 million in Polk CARES 2020 grants for Polk County individuals and businesses impacted by COVID-19 was still available.
Qualified Polk County residents and small business owners may now apply online for financial assistance through Polk's portion of the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act grant. The online application process will require residents and business owners to fill out a form, and attach verifying documentation with the application.
A call center to assist residents with questions regarding Polk County's CARES Act financial assistance is available in English and Spanish from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Call Center number is 863-298-7500
As of June 2 nearly $9 million of the $15 million allocated was still available for individual and household grants. More than 3,000 grants of up to $2,000 had already been approved. Individuals who had lost their jobs or income due to COVID-19 were eligible to apply.
he online application process will require residents and business owners to fill out a form and attach verifying documentation with the application. Residents who do not have technology access to complete the online process may contact United Way of Central Florida at 2-1-1 to apply for assistance from Polk County.
On your application, you must confirm that you:
- Have not received other COVID-19 assistance for rent, mortgage or utility payments
- Valid Florida ID or Florida Driver License
- Proof of loss of income related to COVID-19 impacts (furlough, lay-off letter from employer, unemployment statement, etc.)
- Utility invoice, and mortgage or rent bill
As of June 2 nearly $38 million in grants to Polk small businesses was still available. About $2 million had been allocated to about 800 applicants, and nearly 1,600 applications were still under review.
Small businesses that can show they were impacted by COVID-19 include funding levels of $2,000 for those who are self-employed, $5,000 for businesses with 2 – 9 employees, and $10,000 for businesses with 10 – 25 employees.
Small business applicants must attest they:
- Were negatively impacted by COVID-19
- Have the authority to apply for this grant on behalf of the business
- Will use the grant funds for authorized business expenses only
- Will apply for a Polk County Business Tax Receipt if not registered with the Polk County Tax Collector
- Plan to resume normal operations after emergency guidelines are lifted
- Shall cooperate with Polk County or appropriate officials for grant auditing purposes
Additional information and applications are available online at https://polk-county.net/polk-cares-2020